Thursday, June 13, 2013

The WTF Bike

The words, "just hanging out, riding my bike," just got a whole new meaning.

I was just searching the web, when I saw this, contraption, for lack of a better word.
Created by Flitz, they call it a "velocipede concept of healthy, ecological mobility, in an overcrowded urban space."  I call it "half of McDonald's arch on wheels," but whatever works.  



The idea is to strap yourself in the 5 point harness, hang off of the frame, and then use your feet to push yourself forward, kind of like an children's balance bike but with less sitting and more dangling. The frame then doubles as a shock absorber and structural backbone.  
I have no idea why this could be considered any better, easier, or space saving than walking or riding a normal bike, but it certainly is more unique looking. 

If you have ever ridden clip-in pedals on a bicycle, than you know how challenging it can be to dismount quickly.  I would assume that this has to be worse.  I can not imagine it being very convenient to unharness yourself in the event that this bike started to tip over.  In fact, the first image that popped into my head when I saw this bicycle was a pile of people, lying on their sides, at the bottom of a hill, unable to untangle themselves because they are still securely strapped onto their bikes. 

Anyway, if you want to hang out when you ride your bike and you speak German you can find out more here.  

Tell me what you think.

No comments: